As summer fades away and the cooler temperatures start to set in, nature rewards us with one of its most spectacular displays – the changing of the leaves. From September through November, the landscape explodes in stunning hues of orange, red, and gold. It’s no wonder that so many seek out the most beautiful places to view fall foliage. Here are some of the best:
1. New England: This region of the United States is famous for its vibrant fall foliage. You can drive the scenic routes through Vermont and New Hampshire to see stunning vistas of colorful trees, or take a guided foliage tour in Massachusetts. There’s no better place to see the changing leaves than in New England.
2. The Great Smoky Mountains: The Great Smoky Mountains National Park has over 100 species of trees that turn vibrant colors in the fall. Take a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway or hike one of the many trails to take in the breathtaking scenery.
3. Aspen, Colorado: The Rocky Mountains offer stunning views of the changing leaves, but Aspen is a particularly beautiful spot for fall foliage. The aspen trees that give the town its name turn a brilliant gold in the fall, creating a vibrant contrast against the evergreens.
4. Acadia National Park, Maine: Maine’s Acadia National Park offers spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean and the turning leaves. Take a hike up Cadillac Mountain or drive the Park Loop Road for unforgettable views.
5. Niagara Falls: While Niagara Falls is stunning all year round, it’s particularly breathtaking in the fall. The colourful leaves make the surrounding landscape even more beautiful, and there are plenty of parks and lookout points to take in the view.
6. Kyoto, Japan: Japan is known for its beautiful cherry blossoms in the spring, but the fall foliage is just as impressive. The city of Kyoto is perhaps the best place to view the changing leaves, with tree-lined streets, temples, and shrines offering a peaceful escape from the bustle of the city.
7. Bavaria, Germany: Germany’s Bavarian Alps offer stunning views of the fall foliage, with the mountains and valleys turning shades of gold, red, and orange. The small town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a popular spot for leaf-peeping, but any drive through the region is sure to be beautiful.
8. Shenandoah National Park, Virginia: Virginia’s Shenandoah National Park offers over 500 miles of hiking trails, many of which offer stunning views of the fall foliage. Take a drive along Skyline Drive or hike to the top of Old Rag Mountain for unforgettable views of the changing leaves.
No matter where you are in the world, there’s likely a beautiful spot nearby to view the stunning autumn colours. Get outside, take a deep breath of crisp autumn air, and enjoy the beauty of nature’s most magnificent displays.